10 Common Fruits and Vegetables That Can Hurt or Kill Your Dog – BEWARE!

Beware: 10 common fruits & veggies that could kill your dog

grapes & raisins

Photos: Vincent Brassinne (grapes) on Flickr and Marlam (raisins) on Flickr

#2 Grapes and Raisins

According to the ASPCA, Grapes and raisins are definite doggie no-nos. Some dogs can tolerate them, while others “develop life-threatening problems after eating even a few grapes or raisins”. 

Why It Can Be Bad For Dogs:

Until the cause of the toxicosis is better identified, the safest course of action is to avoid feeding grapes or raisins to your dog. Dogs experiencing grape or raisin toxicosis usually develop vomiting, lethargy or diarrhea within 12 hours of ingestion. As signs progress, dogs become increasingly lethargic and dehydrated, refuse to eat and may show a transient increase in urination followed by decreased or absent urination in later stages. Death due to kidney failure may occur within three to four days, or long-term kidney disease may persist in dogs who survive the acute intoxication.

What to do:

It's important to seek prompt treatment from a veterinarian if your dog consumes grapes or raisins. Hopefully your pal will be one of the lucky ones unaffected by toxicosis, but if not, the vet is the best bet!

What other fruits and veggies could be hazardous to your pet's health? Check the  next page for another hidden threat:

Like PupFans on Facebook

Next Page »

Add Comment